Have you ever thought of running a marathon in Antarctica?? Yeah - neither did I....but sometimes I do crazy things.

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Cold Running

Jules and I woke up at 6am Saturday morning to start our run in the dark and in about 23f degrees...which sometimes felt colder when the wind would blow.

I learned one very important thing ---->  I need more layers!  23 degrees is a lot colder than I thought!
Before the Run - Early and smiling. Obviously before the run.

The run was so hard for me.  I think when I thought Utah would be a good place to get a cold run in, I totally forgot to think about the whole elevation factor.  We went up city creek trail in Salt Lake (which is allllll uphill) until I had it with hills....and then with the exception of a few more inclines we stayed pretty much either downhill or flat for the remaining miles.  

And my upper body was cold pretty much the entire run.  Legs, hands, head were fine.  But my core and arms -- cold, cold, cold.  Good thing I figured that out before going to the South Pole!

How I felt AFTER the run.  DEAD tired.

My legs felt like led by the end of the run. It was not very encouraging.  I'm blaming the 4500ft increase in elevation between CA and UT. Thank goodness Antarctica is at sea level!!!

Now - time to go buy a running jacket that is windproof!!!  

2 comments:

  1. Ugh. Sounds horrible. Good luck these last weeks getting ready.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everyday we think about you and that next run..we wish you all the best and hope you will have a good time. Be safe love you xx

    ReplyDelete